My Aunt Sharon jotted the recipe for this yummy cake down on a scrap of paper at a family function about 18 years ago. I still have that scrap of paper which details the ingredients and a couple of steps on how to prepare it. I guess I’ve just “made it” so many times that I didn’t really think about how to put it into words until a friend requested the recipe.
Cherry Almond Pan Cake
½ c. butter, softened
2 c. granulated sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. almond extract
½ c. milk
3 c. flour
1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
Powdered Sugar icing: Mix together until smooth 1 c. confectioner’s sugar, ½ tsp. vanilla, ½ tsp. almond extract, 2 Tbsp. milk.
1. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
3. Beat in vanilla, almond extract and milk.
4. Gradually add flour.
5. Spread ¾ of the batter in a greased 10×15-inch pan.
6. Spread one can of cherry pie filling across top of batter.
7. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over filling. Swirl top layer only with a knife.
8. Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
9. Drizzle top with powdered sugar icing.