I just returned from a fantastic conference in Miami where the food is influenced greatly by the Cuban culture. I had the pleasure of participating in the South Beach Food Tour led by Miami Culinary Tours (more on that later). But it has my mouth watering for something delish!!
I won a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker from the folks who were servin’ up a bunch of amazing food made via the slow cooker. Its coming via the brown truck possibly today (fingers crossed)!! One of my absolute favorite recipes is the Cuban-Style Shredded Pork that they served with Swiss cheese, sliced baked ham and pickles on a roll… YUMMO!!
I’m sharing the recipe today and will add the photos tomorrow. I’ll have to get a snapshot quickly because this will NOT LAST LONG at Sutton Central!!
Cuban-Style Shredded Pork Sandwich
Source: Hamilton Beach
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lime zest
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
5 lb. boneless pork shoulder
For the sandwich:
Bread (if you want panini) or rolls
Yellow Mustard (prepared)
Sliced Swiss cheese
Sliced baked ham
1. Combine juices, olive oil, zest, garlic and seasonings.
2. Place pork in large resealable bag. Pour marinade over pork and refrigerate overnight (or several hours).
3. Place roast and contents of bag in slow cooker crock. Cover and cook in high 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
4. Remove pork to cutting board. Reserve juice in crock.
5. Shred pork. Add to crock and stir to combine juices.
6. Spread rolls with mustard. Layer cheese, ham, shredded pork and top with pickles in bun.
7. If you are making paninis, preheat panini press and then grill until toasted.
Thanks again Hamilton Beach for the slow cooker! I can’t wait to make this for my family!!