Posted at 2:59 am
Man Cave Worthy Dip
Serve this hearty dip with corn tortilla chips or the scoop chips.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 can (4 oz.) chopped ripe black olives
3 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. hot pepper sauce (more if you like)
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cumin
1 pkg. (16 oz.) process cheese, cubed
1. In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef. Add onion and simmer 5 minutes longer. Dump in a slow cooker.
2. Add all remaining ingredients, except cheese, and stir until combined. Cover and set slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours, until heated through.
3. Stir in cheese cubes. Continue to heat on low until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.
Posted at 2:52 am
Beef and Egg Noodle Bake
My middle daughter contends this is her favorite because it has “normal” ingredients.
4 c. uncooked extra-wide egg noodles
1 lb. ground beef
4 Tbsp. finely chopped yellow onion
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
½ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ c. cottage cheese
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. green pepper, diced
2 Tbsp. sour cream
½ c. Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
2. In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is translucent. Drain if needed. Remove from heat and stir in tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, green pepper and sour cream.
4. Drain the noodles and stir them into the meat mixture. Then stir in the cottage cheese mixture.
5. Dump the ingredients into a greased 9×13-inch glass baking dish and top with shredded Parmesan.
6. Cover and bake at 350° F for 25 minutes.
Posted at 2:46 am
Open-Faced Turkey & Mashed Taters
This is AMAZING!
1 (3 lb.) turkey breast, thawed and skin removed
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 box (32 oz.) chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. oregano leaves
1 envelope instant mashed potatoes
2 packets turkey gravy mix
6-8 slices of Texas Toast bread, toasted
1. Place turkey breast in slow cooker. Pour chicken broth around it. Season turkey with salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Add bay leaf to broth. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
2. Carefully remove turkey from slow cooker to a cutting board. Strain and reserve broth.
3. Place mashed potato granules in a medium bowl and ladle 1 ½ c. of the hot strained broth over the top. Whisk to blend, cover and set aside.
4. Combine 2 envelopes of gravy mix and 2 cups cold water in a small saucepan. Over medium heat bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
5. Cut turkey into slices.
6. Assemble the sandwich with bread on the bottom, then spread on mashed potatoes, top with a slice of turkey and drizzle with gravy.
Posted at 6:40 pm
Smokey 15-Bean Soup with Sausage
Source: 365 Days of Crockpot
Plan ahead to make this soup as it requires an overnight soak and 8 or more hours in the slow cooker.
1 (20 oz.) package of Hurst’s HamBeens 15-Bean Soup
8 c. water
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced into quarter-inch rounds
2 tsp. liquid smoke
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
Juice of one lemon
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Open package of beans and remove the seasoning packet. Save for later use. Pour beans into a large bowl and cover completely with water. Let soak overnight. In a morning, drain off all the water and place beans in the slow cooker. Add in 8 cups of fresh water. Add in onion, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, smoked paprika and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for about 12-14 hours or on high for about 8 hours, or until beans are soft and tender. Add in the HamBeen seasoning packet, sausage, tomato paste, tomatoes, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for another 30 to 60 minutes to let the flavors blend and the sausage heat through (these items are added later because the sodium and high acidity prevent the beans from getting soft).
Posted at 6:36 pm
Zesty Chicken Noodle Soup
Source: Mother’s Apron Strings
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 c. red onions, chopped
Chicken broth – you need roughly 56 oz. in whatever combination you want (cartons, cans, etc.)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 Tbsp. jarred diced garlic)
1/4 lb. angel-hair pasta, broken into 1″ pieces
2 plum tomatoes, diced (or a can of petite diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained)
1 Tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot.
Add mushrooms and onions and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Onions will be translucent.
Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Then add broth and garlic, simmer on medium-high heat about 10 minutes.
Stir in pasta, tomatoes, parsley and thyme and cook 5 minutes more.
Posted at 6:28 pm
Beef & Barley Soup
1 lb. steak tips, cubed
1 c. potatoes, peeled, diced
1 c. onion, chopped
1 c. carrots, diced about 1/4-inch thick
1 c. celery stalk, diced about 1/4-inch thick
1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 c. beef broth
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 c. beef barley, dried
In a slow cooker add all ingredients, except bay leaves. Stir until combined. Drop bay leaves on top. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours, until meat is cooked and vegetables are tender or on low for 8 to 10 hours. About 30 minutes before soup is done, add barley. Cook until barley is tender.
Posted at 6:24 pm
This recipe was sent in by High Plains Journal reader Vivian Tank, Fremont, Neb.
1-2-3 Macaroni Bake
Source: Vivian Tank
1 1/2 c. chicken, cooked and diced
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. dehydrated onions
4 Tbsp. dehydrated garlic, sliced
1 1/2 c. broccoli flowerets
1 (1 lb.) jar Cheddar cheese sauce
1/2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 c. elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
Pepper to taste
Heat diced chicken with garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3 Tbsp. onions and 3 Tbsp. garlic and mix with cooked macaroni.
In the microwave, blanch for 2-3 minutes broccoli in a few drops of water with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. onion and 1 Tbsp. garlic. Drain off the water.
Mix all ingredients together and add the Cheddar cheese sauce. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes. Can be microwaved for 12 minutes.
Top with shredded cheese; return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serves 6-8 people.
Posted at 3:07 am
Thanks to Home Cookin’ for compiling all of the articles and recipes from Mother’s Apron Strings!
Check them out at: http://bit.ly/1uOYv9f
Posted at 5:24 pm
Source: Vicki Thomspon, Pauls Valley, Okla.
2 (15.5 oz) cans black-eyed peas with jalepeno peppers, rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes with green chiles, diced
2 avocados, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1/2 purple onion, diced
3/4 c. zesty Italian dressing
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Mix all ingredients together; cover and keep in refrigerator. Serve with tortilla chips!
Posted at 5:21 pm
Best Egg Spread
Source: Amber Uhlenhake
6 hard boiled eggs, diced
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 c. shredded cheese
1 pkg. dry ranch salad dressing mix
1 c. pecans, chopped
1/2 c. peppers, diced
In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, shredded cheese, dressing mix and eggs. Form into a log or ball. Mix the nuts with the pepper and roll the cheese mix into it. Chill for at least 2 hours and serve with crackers.