Pumpkin Custard Cake
I found this gem in my mom’s recipe box a few weeks ago. This is one of my favorite dessert dishes from childhood. Cake will be slightly jiggly when it comes out of the oven.
1/2 c. unsalted butter
2 c. milk
4 large eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 c. all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Melt butter on stovetop or in microwave and set aside to cool.
3. Warm the milk until lukewarm and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Wash beaters before proceeding to next step.
5. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks and the powdered sugar until light. Then beat in the melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice. Stir in the flour.
8. Beat in the pumpkin and ½ cup of milk. With the mixer on low, add remaining milk.
9. Fold in egg white mixture by hand. Pour into prepared pan.
10. Bake for 5565 minutes. Cool cake completely before cutting and serving. Store in refrigerator.