Baked Macaroni and Cheese
A chill in the air is easily chased away with this comfort dish. Pair with a vegetable and a serving of fruit for a complete meal.
4 c. elbow macaroni
3/4 c. unsalted butter, divided
6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 1/2 c. milk
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
3/4 c. bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare elbow macaroni to package directions for al dente. Prepare a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Slowly whisk in flour until blended, and then slowly add in the milk. Bring mixture to a boil and continue stirring until it begins to thicken. Stir in cheese, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
3. Add macaroni to the pan and stir until coated and combined. Pour mixture into a prepared baking dish.
4. Melt the remaining butter and combine it with the bread crumbs. Evenly sprinkle this over the top of the macaroni.
5. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Apron Strings Tip: In step 3, toss in a cup of green peas, 1 lb. browned lean ground beef and a half cup of chicken broth to make this a one-dish meal.