Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This creamy soup has a wonderful texture and combines your protein and vegetable with a robust seasoning. This is one of my favorite soups!
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. tap water
2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 (4.5-oz.) box quick-cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 can sliced carrots, drained
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. unsalted butter
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1. In a large stock pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken breasts. Bring to a boil and stir in rice, setting the seasoning packet aside. Immediately cover and remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the contents of the seasoning packet and stir until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low and stir in the flour mixture a little at a time until a roux is formed. Gradually whisk in the cream until fully incorporated and mixture is smooth. Continue to cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the cream mixture to the rice and broth. Stir in the carrots. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Apron Strings Tips: When chicken breasts are on sale, I bake and freeze portions so pulling together this recipe is a snap!
What to do with the extra chicken? Try this recipe on day 2!
Skillet Chicken and Stuffing
The mixed vegetables create a pop of color on this plate!
1 (6-oz.) pkg. stuffing mix for chicken
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 c. frozen mixed vegetables
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. tap water
1. Prepare stuffing mix according to directions on box and set aside.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or an electric skillet to 375 degrees F. Add chicken and cover and cook about 7 minutes on each side or until done. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
3. Add vegetables, soup and water to skillet, stir to combine and cover. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Return chicken to skillet and heat until hot. Serve with the stuffing.
Apron Strings Tips: Chicken can also be baked in a 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Cooking time depends on the size of the chicken breasts. I often use tenderloins or cut larger pieces into strips to reduce cooking time.