Cherry Surprise Cookies
36 maraschino cherries
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
1 Tbsp. milk
3 tsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. confectioners’ sugar
1 to 2 Tbsp. tap water
Red and green food coloring
Colored sprinkles, finely chopped nuts, nonpariels
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat cherries dry with paper towels; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and vanilla.
3. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Shape a tablespoonful of dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
5. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and enough water to achieve a dipping consistency. Transfer half of the glaze to another bowl; tint one bowl green and the other red. Dip the tops of half the cookies in green glaze and the remainder in red glaze. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.
Apron Strings Tips: Makes 3 dozen cookies. You’ll want to make sure the bottom of your cookies are lightly browned to ensure they are done.