If you love the taste of almond, these cookies are sure to please! They offer a light and flaky addition to your tray of heavier cookies.
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
1 large egg
2 tsp. pure almond extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and almond extract until well blended.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt until ingredients are incorporated.
4. Slowly add flour mixture to creamed ingredients in mixer and continue to beat on lower speed until a soft dough forms and mixture is smooth.
5. Use a 1 teaspoon size cookie scoop to divide dough evenly. Roll each scoop into a ball and place 1 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Use a smooth-bottomed glass dipped in granulated sugar to slightly flatten each ball.
6. Bake for 8 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden. Cool on baking sheet for one minute and remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Apron Strings Tips: Be sure to evenly flatten your cookies to avoid one side being overdone. Use colored sugar for the top or large-crystal sugar to add flare. You can also drizzle the tops of these with a glaze of 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Keep the dough refrigerated and pull out what you need for each batch. This will ensure each baking sheet of cookies comes out perfectly formed and the same level of doneness.